Here are 12 ‘note-to-selves’:
1. They create and pursue S.M.A.R.T. goals. Successful people create and pursue S.M.A.R.T. goals that are: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely. When you identify S.M.A.R.T. goals that are truly important to you, you become motivated to figure out ways to attain them. You develop the necessary attitude, abilities, and skills.
2. They take decisive and immediate action. There’s a huge difference between knowing how to do something and actually doing it. Knowledge and intelligence are both useless without action. It’s as simple as that.
3. They focus on being productive, not being busy. In his book ‘The 4 hour work week’ Tim Ferris says, “Slow down and remember this: Most things make no difference. Being busy is often a form of mental laziness – lazy thinking and indiscriminate action.” The solution: Slow down. Breathe. Review your commitments and goals. Put first things first. Do one thing at a time. Start now. Take a short break in two hours. Repeat.
4. They make logical, informed decisions. Don’t let your emotions trump your intelligence. Slow down and think things through before you make any life-changing decisions.
5. They avoid the trap of trying to make things perfect. Remember, the real world doesn’t reward perfectionists. It rewards people who get things done.
6. They work outside of their comfort zone. Significant moments of opportunity for personal growth and success will come and go throughout your lifetime. If you are looking to make positive changes and new breakthroughs in your life, you will need to embrace these moments of opportunity even though you will never feel 100% ready for them.
7. They keep things simple. Leonardo da Vinci once said, “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” If you complicate your life by inundating yourself with too many choices, your subconscious mind will give up. The solution is to simplify.
8. They focus on making small, continuous improvements. Making small, positive changes ~ eating a little healthier, exercising a little, creating some small productive habits, for example ~ is an amazing way to get excited about life and slowly reach the level of success you aspire to. The simple act of getting started and doing something will give you the momentum you need, and soon you’ll find yourself in a positive spiral of changes – one building on the other.
9. They measure and track their progress. Successful people track themselves against their goals and clearly know what needs to be done to excel and accelerate.
10. They maintain a positive outlook as they learn from their mistakes. Successful people concentrate on the positives – they look for the silver lining in every situation. They know that it is their positivity that will take them to greatness. If you want to be successful, you need to have a positive outlook toward life. Life will test you again and again. If you give in to internal negativity, you will never be able to achieve the marks you have targeted. Don’t let your own negativity sabotage you. Learn what you can and press forward.
11. They spend time with the right people. Successful people associate with people who are likeminded, focused, and supportive. They reach out to connected, influential individuals who are right for their dreams and goals. You are the sum of the people you spend the most time with. Find your tribe and work together to make a difference in all of your lives.
12. They maintain balance in their life. When you let your work life (or social life, family life, etc.) consume you, and all your energy is focused in that area, it’s extremely easy to lose your balance. You need to balance the various dimensions of your life.