Here are the Dalai Lama’s 18 rules for a happy life:
* Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
* When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
* Follow the three Rs: 1. Respect for self 2. Respect for others 3. Responsibility for all your actions.
* Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
* Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
* Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
* When you realise you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
* Spend some time alone every day.
* Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
* Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
* Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
* A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
* In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
* Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
* Be gentle with the earth.
* Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
* Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
* Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.