Luckily, there are a lot of ways to keep those stressors in check.
Here are 80 expert and research-backed ways to relax, whether you have five minutes, five hours or five weeks. Bah-bye, stress!
1. Write your worries down in a journal.
2. Peel an orange. Studies show the smell of citrus can help reduce stress.
3. Read a book for six minutes.
4. Eat an avocado. The monounsaturated fats and potassium in the superfood can lower blood pressure.
5. Take a walk in green space.
6. Hang out with your BFF.
7. Spend a few minutes focusing on your breath.
8. Take a power nap.
9. Bring your dog to work. Research suggests having your pooch in the office can lower stress levels throughout the day.
10. Listen to Mozart.
11. Try some aromatherapy.
12. Let out a laugh.
13. Get a massage.
14. Give someone a big hug.
15. Sing to the radio in the car.
16.Take up knitting. Research shows the activity puts your brain in a state of flow similar to the one achieved through meditation.
17. Try a little mindfulness meditation.
18. Unsubscribe from all of those promotional emails.
19. Kiss a loved one.
20. Call your mum.
21. Take an email vacation. (Bonus: It also makes you more productive.)
22. Forgive someone.
23. Think about something you’re grateful for.
24. Exercise. Research shows it helps boost the body’s ability to handle stress.
25. Be mindful of how you deal with frustration during an argument.
26. Drink black tea.
27. Hide your smartphone for a coupla hours.
28. Walk the walk. Research shows if you carry yourself like a happy person, you’ll feel happier, too.
29. Reflect on what (and who) is important in your life.
30. Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Bring on the salmon!
31. Walk or bike to work.
32. Listen to soothing nature sounds.
33. Eat a bowl of oatmeal.
34. Give acupuncture a try.
35. Flash a smile at someone.
36. Get a plant for your house or your desk.
37. Let yourself have a good cry.
38. Eat some dark chocolate.
39. Get in touch with your inner yogi.
40. Say no. You can do anything, but not everything.
41. Think positive thoughts.
42. Dance it out. Not only does it reduce stress, it can also boost your memory.
43. Take a warm bath.
44. Surround yourself with the scent of orange blossom…
45. …Or the aroma of vanilla.
46. Float in water.
47. Sleep. Not only is it crucial to zapping stress, it’s key to your daily happiness. “When we’re exhausted, we drag ourselves through the day instead of enjoying the day,” HuffPost president and editor-in-chief Arianna Huffington once said.
48. De-clutter your home or your desk.
49. Become a morning person. (Or at least embrace the morning.)
50. Focus on one task at a time.
51. Pay attention to your surroundings.
52. Go to the beach.
53. Distance yourself from stressful people in your life.
54. Repeat a positive affirmation.
55. Choose not to wait in line.
56. Spend time with the person you’re in love with.
57. Drink a cup of green tea.
58. Feel free to ignore your boss while you’re on vacation.
59. Take a break from social media.
60. Share a meal with a friend.
61. Let out a deep sigh…
62….Or a primal scream.
63. Make a silly face.
64. Close your eyes, even for just a few moments. (But don’t do it while you’re driving.)
65.Brush your hair.
66. Do something nice for someone else. Good karma and less stress? Win.
67.Give yourself some quiet time.
68. Write your thoughts on a piece of paper, then physically throw them out.
69. Stare at the colour blue.
70. Look at old photographs.
71. Set “stress boundaries.” If someone, or something, is starting to stress you out, step away from the situation.
72. Go for a run.
73. Colour a picture. This activity isn’t just for kids!
74. Look out the window.
75. Try a de-stressing app.
76. Use your imagination and look at your life like scenes in a movie.
77. Count to 10, then count backward.
78. Spend a little time in the sun. (Just wear your SPF!)
79.Take a lunch break away from your desk.
80. If your stress gets really over-whelming, chat to someone about it!