You’ll absolutely love this healthy lamington recipe – made from fresh whipped organic eggs, coconut flour, vanilla and raspberries that make them taste purely delicious.
I’ve used macadamia nut oil to make the cake which works really well with baking – giving it a lovely buttery flavour. The oil is also an anti-inflammatory fat, that is kind to your arteries and can support good health and wellbeing. I’ve used coconut flour to make it gluten free and nut free so it’s kind to sensitive digestive systems. Raspberries are high in antioxidants and marry perfectly with the dark chocolate making these taste amazing. Dark chocolate contains magnesium, iron and antioxidants and boosts serotonin and endorphin levels in the brain – responsible for feelings of wellbeing.
(MAKES 24 SQUARES)
6 organic eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or 2 teaspoons vanilla bean extract
2 tablespoons raw honey or sweetener of your choice (organic maple syrup, few drops stevia etc)
¼ cup (60 ml / 2 fl oz) macadamia nut oil or your choice of (cold pressed coconut oil, butter or olive oil)
½ cup (70 g / 2 ½ oz) coconut flour (see notes)
2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
1 cup (150 g / 5 ¼ oz) fresh or frozen raspberries
1 cup (75 g / 2 ½ oz) shredded or desiccated coconut for rolling
* Preheat your oven to 160 C / 320 F.
* Whip the eggs, vanilla and honey for 10 minutes until light and creamy.
* Pour in the macadamia nut oil with the eggs still whipping and mix well.
* Add the coconut flour and baking powder and mix until combined.
* Pour lamington cake mix into a square 22 cm baking tin lined completely with baking paper.
* Sprinkle the raspberries evenly over the top.
* Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until cooked through.
* Cool for 30 minutes before lifting out from the tin to completely cool.
* Divide cake into 25 mini squares.
Make your chocolate ganache:
Heat the cream or coconut milk in a small pan until almost boiling. Turn off the heat.
Add the chocolate and allow to sit for 2 minutes without stirring.
Stir the mix until you have a smooth silky ganache.
Spread or dip each square of leamington with a little chocolate ganache.
Roll in coconut and place onto a tray lined with baking paper to set. Enjoy
* If you want this cake to be nut free make sure to use a good cold pressed coconut oil, butter or extra virgin olive oil instead.
* These delicious lamingtons will keep covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
* You can get coconut flour from most good health food stores
Teresa’s healthy, wholefood baking book, Healthy Baking – Cakes, Cookies + Raw is also a must. She shares her most delicious baking treats using pure and honest ingredients that nourish the body and soul. With chapters on healthy cookies, wholesome cakes, raw desserts and the most amazing collection of gluten-free breads, this comprehensive baking book is the ultimate “must have” wholefood baking book of our time. These delicious recipes are free from refined sugars and flours, and offer gluten-free and paleo alternatives to suit everyone’s taste.
Healthy Baking – Cakes, Cookies + Raw is available at TheHealthyChef.com eStore and selected bookstores. Hard copies will retail for $69.95 AUD and the eBook version will be available to purchase on iTunes and Amazon.