OUR GORGEOUS HEALTHY CHEF CONTRIBUTOR, Teresa Cutter SHARES HER FAVOURITE CHRISTMAS CAKE RECIPE.
– and good news, it’s totally healthy!
This is my favourite recipe featured in my cookbook Purely Delicious. There is nothing more satisfying than baking your own cakes, puddings and biscuits for Christmas. Around this time of year I’m in my kitchen a little bit more than usual baking cakes and cookies and packaging them up as presents for friends and family. This is an extremely delicious and simple Christmas cake to make. It’s a part of my great Aunty’s recipe file along with other yummy healthy treats.
WHATS GREAT ABOUT IT: This is a dense and moist fruit cake with a high ratio of fruit, which means I don’t need to use any extra sugar in the recipe. I’m also using almond meal which replaces traditional white refined flours that make up most store bought cakes. The almond meal is also gluten free and adds moisture so I just need to add a small amount of macadamia nut or olive oil to make it complete. I love the combination of vanilla, orange and cinnamon in recipes and my Christmas cake is the perfect recipe to marry the flavours together. Serve in small portions after Christmas lunch or dinner or warm it up and serve as a pudding with vanilla bean custard or thick natural yoghurt and orange blossom honey.
TERESA’S HEALTHY CHRISTMAS CAKE
(makes 16 – 20 SMALL SERVINGS)
600 g mixed dried fruit or a mix of the following (raisins, apricot, sultanas)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract or paste
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
zest and juice from 1 orange
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 organic eggs
200 g (2 cups) ground almonds
50 g walnuts
* Preheat your oven to 150 C / 300 F, fan forced.
* Prepare a 20 cm round cake tin with baking paper lining the sides and the base.
* Combine dried fruit, spice, vanilla, orange zest + juice, olive oil and eggs.
* Add the almonds and walnuts and mix through.
* Spoon Christmas Cake batter into your baking tin.
* Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Check with a skewer to see if it comes out clean, if not bake for another 30 minutes.
* Cover the top if necessary to prevent over-browning.
* Cool, then remove from the tin and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.
* CLICK HERE to find out more about Teresa
+ CLICK HERE to get her recipe app