WANT MORE DASH FOR YOUR ‘BEAUTY’ CASH?
Here’s how to make your beauty-dollar go further…
1. Don’t waste product. Using anything more than a pea-size dollop of moisturiser is a waste.
2. Apply foundation with your fingers. Sponges absorb and waste product.
3. Turn bottles upside down to get every last bit of product. If you can’t squeeze anymore out, cut them in half.
4. Store make-up in a dry, cool place with caps on tight to prevent melting and colour separation.
5. When you think you’ve finished your lipstick, there’s about a quarter of it still left. Scoop it out with a knife and mix it with lip balm to make a gloss.
6. Check if your hairdresser has training nights. Trainees will colour and cut for a fraction of the normal price under the watchful eye of senior stylists.
7. Multi-use your make-up. Use lipstick as a blusher; blusher as a lip colour and eyeshadow; your eye pencils as lip and brow pencils; and your eyeshadow, liner and mascara as brow definers.
8. Make your own scented body lotion by adding a couple of drops of your favourite essential oil or perfume to sorbolene cream.
9. Warm up your foundation for summer by mixing in a little bronzer.
10. Revive old nail polish: Start by rinsing out the brush. In an old glass, add a small amount of acetone and swirl your brush in it until the clumps of polish loosen and fall off. You can use a paper towel to pull off the more persistent pieces. Once the brush is clean, screw the cap back into the bottle, acetone-filled brush and all. The remaining acetone in the bristles will thin out the rest of the polish.