Meet my latest creation…. the purely delicious Cashew + Vanilla Lamington. I always listen to what my body is telling me and sometimes it just craves something delicately sweet that’s also full of whole food goodness. You won’t feel guilting indulging in these little treats… each is packed with whole food protein and they are free from refined sugars that satisfies that craving when you need something sweet.
Cashews are high in the amino acid tryptophan which helps to make serotonin – the FEEL GOOD hormone responsible for feelings of wellbeing and feeling great! Cocoa is rich in magnesium, iron, copper, manganese, riboflavin and essential micronutrients for health and vitality. The high flavenoid content of cacao has been scientifically linked to a reduced risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Vanilla helps relax the nervous system and reduce inflammation. It is rich in antioxidants and also enhance mental performance.
(MAKES 24 LAMINGTON BITES)
200 g raw cashew nuts
50 g almond meal
1 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup organic cold pressed coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons natural protein powder (optional)
Raw Chocolate Dipping Sauce
1/4 cup organic cold pressed coconut oil or cacao butter
1 tablespoon organic maple syrup
1 tablespoon coconut butter or tahini, room temperature
2 tablespoons Naked Chocolate or cacao
* Combine cashew nuts, coconut, almonds and salt into a food processor.
* Process for a few seconds or until the mixture looks like fine golden crumbs. If you are wanting to add more protein then please add 2 tablespoons of protein at this stage.
* Add vanilla, maple and coconut oil.
* Mix until the raw lamington comes together.
* Roll into small balls and set aside.
* Place coconut oil into a small bowl and sit over some freshly boiled water for a few seconds until it melts then remove quickly from the heat.
* Add the rest of the ingredients from the dipping sauce recipe and mix well – I normally use a small mini hand whisk.
* Dip lamingtons into the dipping sauce then roll into coconut.
* Store in the fridge (covered) for up to 1 week.
* Enjoy and delight.
* For a variation of this recipe… omit the dipping sauce all together and add 2 tablespoons of Naked Chocolate to the base recipe before blending for a chocolate lamington. If doing so you may need to add another 1/2 tablespoon maple to the recipe.
* BLEND two lamington balls with 1 cup coconut water or coconut milk, 1 small banana and 1 cup ice for the most magnificent lamington smoothie.
CLICK HERE for Teresa’s Healthy Lamingtons
Teresa is also releasing a new healthy, wholefood baking book, Healthy Baking – Cakes, Cookies + Raw. She’ll be sharing her most delicious baking treats using pure and honest ingredients that nourish the body and soul. With chapters on healthy cookies, wholesome cakes, raw desserts and the most amazing collection of gluten-free breads, this comprehensive baking book is the ultimate “must have” wholefood baking book of our time. These delicious recipes are free from refined sugars and flours, and offer gluten-free and paleo alternatives to suit everyone’s taste.
Healthy Baking – Cakes, Cookies + Raw will be available in March 2017 on TheHealthyChef.com eStore and selected bookstores. Hard copies will retail for $69.95 AUD and the eBook version will be available to purchase on iTunes and Amazon.
Stay tuned for more details…