Jules Sebastian is one of those naturally chic women who just seems to know what looks good on her. However as a busy mum juggling two young sons Hunter, 4, and Archer, 2, plus home life with superstar hubby Guy Sebastian, and a career as a TV presenter, stylist, and ambassador for online retailer Ozsale, she knows how fast and furious your fashion decisions need to be.
“As a mum I think you have to be really quick with your decisions, such as deciding what to wear for work in the morning,” she says. “Sometimes I don’t even have five minutes to stand around wondering what will look good. So I just have to throw on things that I already know will work together.”
1. Get a great blazer: A blazer instantly makes anything look better especially in a work setting. You can be having the most annoyingly daggy day where you just randomly grab something from your wardrobe that you’re not thrilled with, however if you throw a great jacket on top all will be forgiven! I would get one that tapers in at the waist. If you’re wanting to hide your bum then go for a longer style as well.
2. Don’t cloak yourself completely in black: So a tailored pair of black pants, a black skirt and a black jacket are great staples of any work wardrobe and is a simple choice on a busy morning. But just remember you’re not going to a funeral! Create pops of colour and interest with a coloured striped shirt or a bright orange top. Or else wear a neutral coloured top such as white or beige blouse and add a colourful chunky necklace which will look really chic.
3. Go for a trenchcoat: So in addition to a fabulous blazer I would also add a cool trenchcoat to your wardrobe. A trenchcoat so versatile, it’s a bit different but is still classy and sophisticated – perfect for a work setting. I’m a huge fan of Aussie designer Josh Goot and I love his Blue Silver Trench Coat. It’s a classic shape that looks good on everyone. The colour is also subtle – a soft blue-ish tinge which is a pretty, feminine shade. Plus the belt around the waist is also figure flattering as it cinches in the waist.
4. Boots are beautiful: It’s a myth that no-one notices the shoes you wear to work – they do! I just adore boots and would advise any working gal get a couple of pairs. A classic three quarter pair will look really fashionable with any length of skirt and is a must-have in winter time. However I would also buy a pair of high heel ankle boots. These can be worn in the warmer months and also will really dress up even the most boring of work outfits. If you tend to stick to neutrals for clothes, then opt for a pair in a different shade and great texture such as suede to create interest.
5. Throw on a scarf: I can’t over emphasise the versatility of having a few good scarves on hand. You can make life easy in the morning for yourself by getting a few good neutral tops and simply throwing a scarf on. You can even wear the same top a couple of days in a row and just change it up with different scarves! Lightweight ones in vibrant colours and patterns are ideal for the warm months, whilst the thicker, chunkier ones will look great when it’s cool.
For more info, visit www.ozsale.com.au