JUST BECAUSE YOU WOKE UP ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BED DOESN’T MEAN YOUR DAY IS DOOMED
Here are 11 small ways to make today a great day.
1. Start with one positive thought. One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day. Even if you haven’t had the best morning, think of one positive thought and hold on to it. Our thoughts create our attitude and perspective, so why not use it to your advantage. Stay present and set the days intention in a positive way.
2. Get a good nights sleep. This one is self explanatory, but getting a good nights sleep makes all the difference. There’s nothing worse than waking up on a few hours sleep, feeling terrible at the thought of facing the day.
3. Try a random act of kindness. Hold open a door, offer assistance, or help someone trying to get a stroller down the steps. Every small interaction with someone is an opportunity to have a positive impact on both of your lives. P.s. 29 random acts of kindness.
4. Do less, live simpler. You can do anything, but not everything, and you can’t do things faster, until you learn how to slow down. Concentrate on what is most important and focus your energy on it. Don’t take on more than you can handle and leave yourself feeling stressed – it’s okay to say no sometimes.
5. Get active. The ability of exercise to boost mood is undisputed, and just squeezing in a brisk walk everyday can do wonders for your health. Getting active releases feel-good endorphins into the bloodstream, reducing stress and anxiety.
6. Appreciate the little things. I’ve always thought of happiness being a compilation of all the little things in life. Like the first taste of coffee in the morning, reconnecting with an old friend or getting a recipe just right (even if it’s third time lucky).
7. Listen to great music. You know, that feel-good music that makes you want to move around and do something productive. Those songs that instantly put you in a good mood. It makes mornings 10x more fun when you’ve got those tunes playing in the background.
8. Tick off your to-do list. Setting small goals and then ticking them off on paper always gives me a sense of accomplishment at the end of of the day. It makes me feel like I’ve been productive and put good use to my time.
9. Prep the night before. Go over your calendar, add in necessary dates and corresponding to-do lists – it may seem a bit obsessive, but it pays off. You’ll wake up with more focus, and with your goals already in place for the day so you can get working on them straight away.
10. Treat yourself. Whether that be to end your day with a glass of wine, your favourite dessert, a pamper session, a long bath or even some time to yourself to read a favourite book. Looking forward to something at the end of my day always gets me through an afternoon slump. Without time for relaxation, it’s likely that you will begin to feel stressed or burned out.
11. Learn something new. It is not enough to be content with what you already know. New knowledge makes us feel pride, accomplishment, better self-esteem, it helps us adapt to new situations and gives us a deeper character and new perspectives.