11. Balance your plate To get the right balance to your meal divide your plate in two and fill one half with vegetables or salad. Then divide the other half into two and fill one half with lean meat, fish or poultry and the other with super grains like quinoa, buckwheat, rice and polenta etc.
12. Choose healthy oils Good fats are found in olive oil and other nut and seed oils, nuts and oily fish. Keep saturated fats found in fatty meats, butter, cream, biscuits, cakes, creamy dressings and pies and pastries to a minimum.
13. Keep your portions in check Reduce the size of your crockery. The larger the bowl, the more we tend to put in it.
14. Forget the salt Adding extra salt to food affects the health of blood vessels, kidneys and bones.
15. Don’t serve soft drinks Have a jug of water on the table instead of drinks high in sugar. If you don’t like the taste of water, add a few slices of orange, lemon or lime for extra zing.
16. Eat fruit for dessert Involve your children in preparing a fruit platter so they are more likely to eat the fruit.
17. Drink less alcohol A glass of red wine a day may be good for you, but excessive alcohol consumption isn’t. Having up to two standard drinks a day with two alcohol-free days a week is deemed as drinking in moderation.
18. Avoid fad diets It’s so easy to fall victim to the magic wand syndrome and start cutting out major food groups with the beliefthat you will lose weight. While it is true that cutting carbs out of the diet will result in weight loss it’s generally short term and not healthy in the long term
19. Buddy up It’s always easier to adopt healthier lifestyle habits if you have support from friends , family or a coach. It’s not that easy to make changes so if you get encouragement and positive support it’s amazing how motivation soars
20. Move Move Move That’s all you need to do preferably for at least 45 to 60 minutes a day. You don’t need a gym membership or need to run a marathon…but you do need to walk more, take the stairs, do a Zumba class or two and take your dog for a walk. That way you’ll not only maintain your weight more easily you might actually lose some and increase your vitality and every part of your body will thank you for it!!