how-to: create a paw-fect CHRISTMAS for you and your PUPPY

pets christmas


by our pet contributor, Simone Kingston

I love Christmas day. It’s a special day when my family and friends, two and four legged, come together to celebrate each other and of course to eat, drink and be merry.

Our dog Sly, has his Christmas stocking hanging alongside my daughters and he seems just as excited as them to run down in the morning and see what’s inside.

Sly’s stocking usually consists of some new toys, as he can never get enough, and a selection of yummy treats that are just for him on this day of days. He gets his own Chrissy treats as a lot of the food that we enjoy throughout the day are potentially harmful to him.

Foods that our four-legged family must avoid

• Christmas Pudding, Christmas Cake and Mince Pies: They’re full of grapes and raisins, these are very toxic for dogs and extremely dangerous for the kidney, can cause severe stomach problems and vomiting.

• Chocolate coins and chocolate decorations: Whilst most of us know about the dangers of chocolate for dogs, these little items can be forgotten about and left in accessible locations for dogs to reach.

• Bones: Raw bones can be enjoyed, cooked bones especially those from birds such as turkey, chicken and duck can become brittle and splinter which can get stuck when eaten and cause obstructions and gut irritation.

• Alcohol: This one should be a no brainer, but remember alcohol can be in food too, giving your dog any alcohol can be dangerous, even in small amounts.

• Herbs: Be aware that Nutmeg can cause hallucinations and Sage can cause problems on the nervous and digestive system.

Of course, they are part of the family and you might want to offer them a “little” Chrissy dinner. Stick with skinless, boneless white meat, cranberries, sweet potatoes, carrots, apples and sweeten it up with a little cinnamon, this is a wonderful ingredient for dogs, it will regulate blood sugar and improve brain function. Bone Appetite!!!

Decoration dangers & disasters

All dogs are different. Some are mature and know how to handle themselves during the festive season, however many are young and silly and view the tree and it’s decorations as one big doggie toy store. If your pet falls into this category please note:

• Christmas Tree needles are not digestible and can be mildly toxic. The fir tree oils can irritate your dog’s mouth and stomach and cause her to vomit or drool excessively.

• Christmas Tree water can poison your dog. Preservatives, pesticides, fertilisers and other agents, such as aspirin, are commonly added to tree water to keep the tree fresh.

• Lights can get very hot and burn your dog. Firmly tape cords to the wall or floor and check them regularly for chew marks or punctures. Dogs who gnaw on electrical cords and lights can receive electric shocks and mouth burns.

• Ornaments that are edible or glass are best avoided. Your dog may knock over the tree trying to get to one, or injure itself trying to play with a broken one. Swallowing an ornament also can cause a gastrointestinal blockage.

… and most importantly

Enjoy your dog at Christmas, spoilt him, dress him up in a festive collar, hang his stocking, fill it with treats, there are some fantastic toys out there for our beloved pets. {CLICK HERE for our faves.} The kids will love them being included in the celebrations. And don’t forget to take him for a long walk before all the guests arrive, it will do you and him the world of good.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas, full of paws and peace!!Sim x

CLICK HERE to find out more about Simone

{Pic: @loganslook}